Followers

Thursday 17 April 2014

Soon be Easter...

...and I can't wait.

Not because of the thought of chocolate Easter Eggs or Hot Cross Buns. No! Just because it heralds a whole week off work...yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

This last two weeks have been exhausting.

Last week saw me having to stay away for two days (luckily only one night) as it was the review of staff performance for the past year. At least I didn't have to travel both days as three of us were given the option to stay-over. I really don't think I could have managed two pre-dawn set offs on the trot.

After a very tiring first day a couple of colleagues who were driving, kindly dropped us off at the Travel Lodge we had been booked into (sorry, didn't even think about getting a photo of the front entrance). Considering how close this TL is to the M11 motorway and Stansted airport, it was surprisingly quiet.

As with all TLs the rooms are very basic...
...a bed...
 ...a TV, chair and tea/coffee making facilities...
 ...a basic bath/shower...
 ...hand basin & loo.
The view from the window was quite pleasant...
 ...Spring flowers...
 ...trees and green fields - so very different from the TL in Cambridge.
This was the view to the right...
...which just showed part of the building.
Now this I just couldn't get a good shot of and I didn't have time to go wandering to investigate...
 ...I haven't a clue what that is behind the fence in the foreground.

All three of us were on the ground floor and being tired we had agreed to an early dinner then an early night as a 'driving colleague' was picking us up at 8.30am the next morning.

Two of us were in adjacent rooms and we both had problems with continuously flushing loos. My colleague was able to get hers to stop by pressing the flush a couple of times but mine didn't want to play ball - so on the way to dinner the problem was reported and I was assured it would be dealt with.

Dinner was pleasant because of the company but nothing to write-home-about as far as the food was concerned. We weren't too bothered because we were tired and we had all had a very long day.

Back at my room everything was lovely and quiet - the loo had been fixed.

The thing I dislike about the bathrooms in these places is that they don't have windows so they have extractor fans - and mine decided it wanted to imitate a 747 taking off (boy was it noisy). So a quick shower and out so that the light/extractor could be switched off.

Watching the news before 'lights out' I noticed a noise getting louder from the bathroom - it sounded rather like the end of a washing machine cycle when the pump is getting rid of the last bit of water...but this didn't stop. I shut the door but the noise was getting louder. I crammed a pillow over my head but the noise was getting louder.

By 11.30pm I couldn't stand it any longer so got dressed and wandered down to reception (these places don't have phones in the rooms) and the night-clerk came to see if she could sort something out.

An hour later I was heading off to another room with bags & baggage roughly packed - just wanting somewhere quiet to go to sleep.

The only available room was the next floor up and the other end of the building...
...looking out the next morning, I could see the room I had started in...

 
 ...the very last window on the ground level.
At least I got a different view from the window...
...of the second room LOL

Dealing with the bathroom from hell when all you want to do is sleep is not fun and it made the second day of the meeting seem even longer than it actually was.

Back at work, things haven't been any better - work has been pouring in but due to leave & sick absence my limited resources have been extremely stretched.

My only fully trained & experienced member of staff has been very poorly and this has resulted in my two trainees having to try and take up the slack. I have to say they have made a sterling effort.

I think we are all looking forward to the long Easter weekend and I can't wait for my week off.

I've no plans for anything particular other than sourcing a replacement freezer - yes, mine died at the start of the week but that's a story for another time.

Happy Easter everyone...............................................................................





3 comments:

Katherine said...

Oh :( I hope you have a super Easter :)

Virginia said...

Oh Toni that sounds like a truly dreadful couple of days and lack of sleep is no good for anyone! Hope you have a fabulous Easter break!

Sue Jones said...

(((hug))) Sounds really awful! enjoy your very well earned break!