Followers

Saturday 9 March 2013

Mucky playtime...

...and boy was it fun.

I have been looking forward to today's class at Pinnacle Crafts - one of Andy's "Tim" stylie days.

We all started off with one of these...

...a bare wood book-style box.

At this point I have to apologise as I forgot to take some photos of the first stage which was to cover the book-cover with random sized panels of white card, some punched card strips and some sticky back gems. The idea was to create a look of metal plates rivited together.

I used dark green acrylic paint to cover my box...

...and then dry-brushed some grey-blue paint over the surface to give a distressed look.
As the card panels were stuck on we scored where they overlapped...

...which as you can see, along with the gems gives a super textured finish.
I then highlighted the panels on the box further...

...by dry-brushing with copper 'mixative' alcohol ink.
A selection of die-cut cogs were painted using the same colours...

...but I used a bit more of the grey-blue colour and quite a lot of the copper so that the cogs would show more clearly when attached to the box.
To give it a more 'aged' effect the edges were rubbed with...

...black soot Distress Ink.
We had a play with embossing powders and moulds...

...and applied the decorations to the box.
When I got home I added some more embellies...

...sorry about the fuzzy pic.
These metal embellies are from...

...the Papermania "Chronology" range.
This is the back of the box...

...with a selection of Chronology Clock faces.
Although the piece looks like a book...

...the spine pulls out a hidden drawer (I think I might line this but I'm not sure - will have to give it a bit of thought).
This is the front of the finished item...

...die-cut cogs, UTEE moulded shapes, Chronology clock faces and a key.

Another super day playing - thank you so much Andy, I loved every minute of it as did my friend Suzie.

I wonder what he'll come up with the next time we have a 'Tim style' day..........................................

5 comments:

Wendy said...

this is fabulous, I love it :-)

Claire said...

Oh this is lovely, really fab! I want one :D
C xx

voodoo vixen said...

It looks like you had a fabulous time... be warned, those little book boxes are very addictive!! Love the colours you have used, it looks wonderful.

Debbie said...

That's great, so clever and so metally-looking!

Debbie x

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

COOL! I wantIwantIwantIwantIwant. ;) :D