Followers

Thursday 11 July 2013

Grab the 100 bus...

...and go for a tour of Essex (even if you don't want to).

I have been covering a colleague who has been off sick since before Christmas and up until now although this meant being responsible for additional staff this has only involved a trip once a week to the main office that my colleague was responsible for.

That all changed from 1 July as I'm now travelling between 3 offices each week.

The journey to the office I've been visiting isn't a problem because it is on the same rail line that I normally use - just in the other direction. The problem is the 3rd office I'm now visiting...

The only way to get there by public transport (yes I drive but my car is not insured for business use) is to catch the number 100 bus. Now this shouldn't be a problem because the bus passes my front door and my house is evenly located between two bus stops - the problem arises with the length of the journey. Having now visited this office 4 times in the last two weeks I can say that the shortest my journey has been was 2hours 10mins. Also, although this route boasts super new 'hibred' buses that are supposed to be air-conditioned - they have been very hot and uncomfortable during the warm weather that we have been enjoying.

So with the thought of another hot & sticky journey in front of me last Friday, I was trying to find something good in the whole thing - as a result, I took these photos on my way back to where I would be able to catch the bus home...

This waterway is The Chelmer and is actually a very pleasant route to walk (when the weather is good). Just beyond the trees on the right is a car park that backs the office.
The reflections of the clouds on the water are super and you would be forgiven for thinking that this is a lovely clear waterway - unfortunately, if you get quite close to the water it actually looks pretty murky.
The view the other way is heading back into town and the bridge you can see is a small road bridge...
...just past this bridge there are a couple of foot bridges that take you back into the town centre.
The lovely weather had obviously encouraged this chap...
...an afternoon paddling along the river...
...was certainly something he seemed to be enjoying.
As I got back into the town there was a lot of noise and it turned out to be a couple of lads having a lot of fun with a drum kit and a selection of up-turned buckets and pans...
...they had a backing track with the instrumental and vocals but they provided the drumming...
...and boy were they good...
...they also took their drumming 'beyond the page' so to speak...
...and had the crowd in fits of laughter as they drummed on walls and the floor.
I'm not sure who the topless guy is but he kept getting into the photos...
 
...I think perhaps he was a minder of some kind as the lads seemed to know him.
 
After a few moments of this light-heartedness I continued to the bus stop only to find the service delayed and what should be a bus every 15mins - wasn't. I waited 50mins and then wasn't allowed on the bus because it was already full. Luckily all the disgruntled folk waiting with me didn't have too much longer to wait but it still meant that the time from leaving the office to walking through my front door was almost 3hours (grrrrrrr).
 
It is bad enough being stuck on a bus for over 2hours each way (this week hasn't been much better) but I can do without the added grief of delays & cancellations - fingers crossed things improve.......................................................................
 


1 comment:

Virginia said...

Oh Toni that bus journey does not sound fun at all - I hope the buses come more frequently and get some sort of hyper speed fitted and that they cool down somewhat!