Followers

Monday, 9 June 2014

Project number two...

...or three, as the case may be.

It was the second project we tackled at Andy's Ink class but it is the third one that you are seeing - confused...Sorry!

We each selected 3 sheets of the Spellbinders coloured metal sheets and proceeded to emboss them...
...as you can see, we used an embossing folder with lots of cogs & mechanical bits & bobs.

Now if you have ever played with the coloured metal sheets you may have noticed that StaZon (the black ink pad or the cleaner) seems to have a strange effect on some of the colours. There seems to be a bit of a chemical reaction between the StaZon and the darker hues.

My first panel was a peachy colour (the palest of the 3 I picked) and rubbing over the surface with a black StaZon pad darkened the high points but not much else...
...even the cleaner didn't have much effect so after swiping it with some 'teak' and 'honeydew' ink I left it as is.
The second panel was a darker orange and as you can see there was more of a reaction...
...the StaZon lifts some of the colour off so you have to be careful not to end up with a silver bit of metal. I used the teak & honeydew inks and also added some 'poppyfield' to this one. With the bits of silver showing it gives a very different look to the first panel.

This was one of Andy's panels...
...I think he used teak, honeydew and added some 'botanical' & 'mermaid' which gives it a fabulous "Hocus Pocus" type effect...all grunge & slime.

This was my finished second panel...
 ...looking suitably worn. Two down, one to go...
...and this was the darkest of the three metal sheets I had picked - a sort of rusty red.
Some black StaZon, some teak, honeydew, poppyfield...
 ...and a touch of 'mermaid' to finish it off.
The base card was covered with copper miri-card...
 ...and a matt of PP from one of the DoCraft Steampunk type ranges (can't remember the name).
The metal panels were then layered up...
 ...using 3D foam and we started adding cogs...
...cut from a variety of different colours of miri-card.

Andy was concerned that we wouldn't have time for project three so we put this one aside to finish at home.

Once home, I finished the layering up of the cogs...
...added the clock face...
...and a few pearls to look like rivets.
Here is the finished card...
...sorry this is not the best photo in the world but it was very difficult getting a pic without too much glare reflecting off the metal surfaces.

A super project with lots of lovely inky techniques.

I have another class with Andy next Saturday - we will be attacking a canvas. In Andy's words - we will be 'throwing' allsorts at it. Sounds like it's going to be another fun day.......................................

7 comments:

Wendy said...

These are fabulous, love them!

Virginia said...

Oh that class looks fantastic, how lucky are you being able to attend Andy's workshops so frequently, I was checking out the on line bottle one he used to do but it doesn't look like he does the online ones anymore sob!

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Thanks for going through all the experimenting work. By the time I buy anything I know what to expect. :D
That "throwing allsorts at it" sounds fun!

Jennie Hart said...

These are really effective and look like they were fun to make.

Lori said...

Wow, these are amazing - I bet this was fun!

Nicecrane Designs said...

OMG your steampunk looks great Toni

Sandra said...

They're just amazing