Followers

Wednesday 30 March 2011

I HATE this time of year...

...as it means end of year appraisals.

I really hate the whole process of end-of-year - it reminds me of school exams...
It is bad enough as a manager having to hold performance chats with staff who really don't want to be bothered with the whole process but this year is even worse in the fact that due to the pay freeze (two years with no pay rises due to the recession) even those staff who have excelled will receive nothing financially for their efforts.

Our pay rises have never been very much and our performance linked amounts have been pitiful but at least it was something. As a manager it is very hard motivating staff when there is no carrot to dangle...

So far I've completed half the chats with my staff and all being well I'll have the other half completed by the end of next week. I am lucky that I have some staff who will perform well irrespective of the rewards (or lack of) but it is so difficult with those who are more than happy to just come in and do an ordinary days work and not really put a lot of effort into even that.

Oh, and tomorrow is the worst part - my chat with my boss **groan** So much preparation; a written narrative self-assessment of my year's performance & achievement, documentary evidence to support all achievements and a detailed discussion of the year past and a chat about objectives for the coming year.

I'll let you know how it goes............................

4 comments:

Winnie said...

Doesn't sound good, but I guess it has to be done. Good luck with the "chat" tomorrow!

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Thinking of you.

Lynn Stevens said...

Seems the recession bug is hitting everyone everywhere, hope things turn around soon, good luck with the rest of your meetings!
hugs Lynn

Sandra said...

Good luck today ...I'll be thinking of you and send good vibes your way.