Followers

Thursday 18 June 2015

Mum's garden...

...is a sea of peonies, fuchsias and hardy geraniums.

This lovely pink peony is nestled in a blanket of hardy geraniums...
 ...I haven't got a clue what variety of peony this is...
...which is a shame as it is such a lovely compact flower compared to the big showy cream coloured peony that lives further along the flowerbed...
...but I do know the name of the hardy geranium (cranesbill) that has covered this end of the flowerbed - even more so since I took the photos - it is called Wargrave Pink.

Most of the shrubs and other planting at the front of Mum's bungalow produce cream, pink or red flowers.

When Mum was more able, she would spend hours in her garden and she had a vast collection of hardy fuchsias and geraniums but over the years some of these seem to have disappeared - she no longer has the geranium "Johnson's Blue" which is a shame because it was the only geranium I had in my garden but it died and I had hoped Mum could sort me out with a replacement. Never mind, perhaps I'll find one at the garden centre.

Many of Mum's fuchsias were rescues from the 'hospital' shelf in the garden department at her local Woolworths (such a shame when Woolies closed). She really had a green thumb and could save most plants and have them thriving in no time at all.

These days, Mum's garden consists mainly of things that can pretty much look after themselves but she still has a better selection of plants than I am ever likely to have...............................................

3 comments:

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely pics of mum's garden...I too have azaelia's which seem to flower all year round...a pretty picture for sure .xx{aNNie My Personal Blog}

CoventryAnn said...

Hardy geraniums are some of my favourite plants, and some are even native to Britain, all the better for the garden wildlife!

Marianne's Craftroom said...

What a gorgeous soft pink peony. I have loads of different hardy genariums, love them