Followers

Sunday 5 August 2012

What are your dreams...

...do you have dream 'goals' or just 'wishful thinking' dreams?

It is Sunday morning here in the UK and as I have no rush to be anywhere (unusual) I decided to have a catch-up on my blog reading. Krista over at the Saturated Canary blog has a very thoughtful post about dreams - as she says "not the sort you have whilst asleep" - it got me thinking.
What do I dream of?

Being rich & famous?

Travelling the World?

I really don't know...

I would like to be 'comfortable' so that finances are not a worry and I'm sure it would be fabulous to be recognised for something but what are my own personal dreams?

The more I thought about it and the more I thought of all the things that had been on my 'wish list' as I have gone through life - the more I came to the conclusion that I wish for...

A life without fear.

Now before anyone starts thinking awful things are happening to me - I mean a life without the fear of trying, a life without the fear of failure - that kind of fear.

There is a saying that I'm sure I'm about to mis-quote...A life lived in fear is a life only half lived...don't we all have things that we say 'if only' about, or 'I wish I had'.

Krista's post made me stop and think.

How many times have I not done something because I thought it wouldn't work or I didn't have the confidence (or drive) to see it through. It can be quite comforting staying 'safe' and not giving things a go rather than trying and have the disappointment of failure.

I have been told that there is no such thing as 'failure' - it is an opportunity for improvement. That can be very hard to accept and take on board sometimes.
As a small child I dreamed of becoming a nurse - probably because that is what my Mum had been and like most children, wanted to follow in the footsteps of a parent. As I grew up, my dreams changed...I wanted to be a dancer but I grew up in an era where dancers were tall willowy creatures - 5ft 4ins I wasn't tall enough for most chorus-lines and I was too tall for 'child' line-ups. I probably didn't want it enough either as I wasn't prepared to put in the hard work - I wanted it "now" and after quite a few knock-backs that dream faded.

Craft has always been a constant in my life but it is a hobby...something "for me"...a world I can take myself off to and play alone or with others. It is something I have always shied away from turning into a career as I didn't want to lose the enjoyment...I still don't. However, I would like to have the opportunity to try this - but on my terms and in a limited fashion. I don't want to be pushed into the world of tight deadlines and only doing things on demand...fanciful thinking perhaps but if I put my mind to it I'm sure I will come up with a happy medium.

I would still love to have plenty of money (who wouldn't) and there are so many places that I would love to see whilst I'm able to fully enjoy them but I think the first thing I will try to do is put aside the fear.

After all, who only wants to live half a life.......................................

2 comments:

Stef H said...

sounds like you've been blessed in may ways!!!

i wanted to be a singer. tried it for 3 yrs and found it was NOT for me. so i became a secretary and for 45 yrs in the legal field, i LOVED it. always felt i chose the right career for me. see? i've been blessed to!

hugs :)

Debbie said...

Fabulous post, Toni, it really strikes a chord with me as I have let fear rule my life for 38 years and I am determined not to live "half a life" any more! I have just started reading a book called "The Wish" which is about making your wishes and dreams come true! It's really bringing home the fact that our mind is the most powerful tool we have - with the right mindset we can all achieve so much!

Debbie x