Followers

Wednesday 19 January 2011

A bit of altered art...

...and some decoupage.

I don't mean the type of decoupage that you do for cardmaking...you know, the layering up with foam pads/silicon glue etc.

NO!!! I mean the sort that I learnt at school - cut out pictures glued to a surface, edges sanded so they didn't stand too proud and a good couple of coats of PVA or varnish depending on the item and what it was going to be used for.

Here are a couple of items that I made using paper napkins to provide the decoupage...

The watering can started life as a cheap tin item that I first of all base coated with a mixture of acrylic paint and multi-surface medium (stops the paint flaking off). The urn was bisqueware that was painted and stippled to create a base coat.
The design came from some napkins that had a bramble design on. These napkins happened to be 3ply and once the design was cut out I carefully separated the top layer and applied the pattern to the watering can and urn using some watered down matt ceramic varnish.
Once I was happy with the placement of the napkin cutouts, I extended the design with hand-painted stems and leaves...
Once everything was completed the urn was sealed with matt ceramic sealer and the watering can was finished with a semi-gloss varnish.

At the time I loved playing with the technique but wasn't overly keen on the actual pieces. I suppose over time they have grown on me LOL......................

5 comments:

Winnie said...

Wow Toni, you really are very crafty! They're great pieces and well done for cutting out those designs - that must have taken some work. Hope you got my email?!?

Jules said...

These are lovely Toni, I remember playing with this kind of decoupage in school art classes, so much fun!

Debbie said...

Impressive stuff, Toni, you can turn your hand to so many crafts, I'm jealous! :)

Debbie x

Scrappy~Sarah said...

wow they are beautiful Toni :) Very swish

Ruthie said...

wow - these look stunning - love them!

Rx