Followers

Wednesday 26 January 2011

Peel-offs...

...a love/hate relationship?

There are many things in crafting that crafters either love or hate and I think 'peel-offs' fall into that category.

My friend Lucy "hates" them...even though after one of Andy's inking lessons she said that they 'didn't look bad...for peel-offs' LOL

I think I 'sit on the fence' on this topic. There are some things I wouldn't let a peel-off near in a month of sundays and then there are some things that they are the perfect solution for.

When my niece asked ever so nicely if I could make her wedding invitations in 2009 I was only too happy to help out - then she dropped the bombshell that I wouldn't have that long to get them done. The design was quite simple but time consuming as the linked hearts that she wanted were stencilled directly onto the card and seemed to take forever to dry. She wanted the wording directly on the card too, so with this in mind I didn't want to risk stamping onto the card and doing it wrong - peel-offs were the answer. I found "Wedding Invitation" in a lovely type style and sat with a ruler and my pokey tool placing them in the correct position - fiddly but oh so much safer.

There are other times when a stamped sentiment is really the only way to go and I will normally stamp onto a separate piece of card (just to be safe LOL) and matt/layer as need be. So for me there are occasions for and others against the use of peel-offs.

Tonight I was having a bit of a rummage through my stash and I found a couple of hand made paper cards that I had forgotten that I had. I wanted to add 'something' but didn't want to detract from the prettiness of the paper...so I reached for the peel-offs...
Being handmade paper the cards are a bit more suitable for 'notelets' as they are not likely to stand-up well. This was another reason for keeping embellishments to a minimum as the added weight would be too much.
A few scattered silver hearts...
...and a slight variation on the theme and I have two pretty notelets ready for use.

On this occasion - peel-offs were the way to go..................

8 comments:

Teresa said...

LOVE that paper! And what you have done with the dreaded peel offs is just right :)

voodoo vixen said...

I too think they have their place... which would be fine if I could actually find them in my stash on the very odd occasion that they are called for! I like the way you have used them here and agree with your use for the wedding invites... can you imagine the trauma of stamping all of them?
Just been back tracking and love ted on the tissue box, your new home for the cricut, glad you will be using it now! and your cute little sewing basket is just divine!!

Scrappy~Sarah said...

peel offs are great for a quick greeting and embellie. Great notelets

JaneH said...

I have a drawer full of peel-offs but every once in awhile I find a card where they're just what it needs. I can't bear to throw them out.

Debbie said...

I once vowed never to use peel-offs again. But seeing this makes me realise that vows can be broken... :)

Debbie x

Jules said...

I have to admit I'm a hater of peel-offs, but I do love what you've done with the cards!

Handmade Hannah said...

I have to say I have never bought them, but if you had stamped and then embossed the cards to get a similar effect that would have taken you ages. I think the cards you have created are very effective :)

Winnie said...

Nice! I love peel-offs, especially when you can recolour them.