Followers

Tuesday 15 November 2011

Saturday 12 November...

...was a special day for Mum.

Mum has had my Dad's ashes at home because she didn't want them interred where she wouldn't be able to access/visit (she has MS so is restricted as to where she can get to) and she never fancied the idea if just scattering them.

Each time we have visited Barleylands Craft Village she has been very taken by the glass blowing unit that offers a memorial service of turning some of the ashes into a glass keepsake. A couple of weeks ago she decided that was what she wanted so arrangements were made for Saturday so that she could watch a paperweight being made.

Here are a few photos - not very good I'm afraid as the glass has to be kept moving to create the round shape - but the process was amazing to watch.



They told Mum that the paperweight would take about a week to cool down safely and it would be engraved as she wished.

She was so happy at seeing the lovely piece of glass being created that it really was a very special day................

10 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

How marvellous TJ, a wonderful thing for your Mum, and I think, quite brave of her to pick a relatively unconventional memorial. I love the idea..and the result is beeeyoootiful!

CLaire said...

That is lovely.... brilliant idea... and every time you look you will remember dad/husband...
made my eyes water... thinking of memories...
hugs Clairex

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Got all teary eyed. I´d love to have my dad home like that.
{big hug}

Helen T said...

What a great idea and it looks fab too. I think that it is a great way to keep the memories of your father alive & to ensure that he will never be forgotten.

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

I think that is lovely Toni and a very special way for your mum and you to keep your dad close.
Hugs ~ Kerryanne

Debbie said...

Such a lovely idea, that makes me feel quite emotional, I would never have imagined being able to have such a lovely memorial to someone close!

Debbie x

The Crafty Elf said...

This is an amazing idea, I've never heard of it! I think what you and your Mom did together was wonderful...I really do! I'm all goosebumps Toni!

Bubbles said...

What a beautiful idea... so wonderful! I still have my FIL ashes and can't bear to part with them... well, not until I can afford to either buy some woodland to scatter all family ashes, or send FL ashes into space.

Sheila in Cyprus said...

What a beautiful idea. Your Dad will always be close by now. My MIL had FIL ashed scattered in the local crematorium (against OH wishes I must admit). A shame, because we have no where to leave any flowers or little messages.
Take care, and a big hug for your Mum Love Sheila x

Sheila in Cyprus said...

What a beautiful idea. Your Dad will always be close by now. My MIL had FIL ashed scattered in the local crematorium (against OH wishes I must admit). A shame, because we have no where to leave any flowers or little messages.
Take care, and a big hug for your Mum Love Sheila x