Followers

Wednesday 13 April 2011

Do you remember...

...decorations like these?
They still seem to be quite popular for weddings but there was a time when this type of decoration was the main choice for Christmas decs (before foil decs cornered the market). They came folded flat and when opened up the honeycomb construction of the paper created the 3D decoration - bells were always popular but there were also figures of santa & snowmen who had tubby little tummy areas made from this form of paper.

Well today I learnt how to make something similar...

I should have been at an all day card workshop but it was cancelled as there was a family problem for the lady who runs the workshop - so I wandered over to Barleylands on the chance that there would be a space on one of their classes today...I was lucky.
I knew the classes this week were making Easter cards but I had no idea what techniques were to be used. Basically we started out with these paper templates and cut out some brown card shapes and some pink ones.
A bit of folding to create a teal coloured easel base card and the pieces were put together to create this cute little bunny. 3D foam to create a bit of dimension and a few hand drawn bits to add the bunny's details.
The special bit was creating the bunny's tummy using 10 pink paper egg shapes to make the honeycomb paper egg that can be kept flat for posting and then opened and held in place with velcro studs. It certainly gives the bunny a fun shape.
The stopper bar for the easel was created by punching some check CS with a pretty Martha Stewart border punch and attaching it with 3D foam. A few seasonal embellishments were also added.
...and this is what I finished up with - a cute childs card ready for Easter.

The technique for creating the honeycomb paper section was a little bit fiddly but quite straight forward and Pauline showed us how easy it was to do the same sort of thing but with different shapes. If I can just find my large Woodware circle punch I might have a go at making some honeycomb baubles...now I wonder where I put it...............................................

7 comments:

Jenny said...

I remember those christmas decorations. great way to add dimension to your card. love the easter card too:)
Jenny x

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Yes, I DO remember those!!! We had a bell at home too.
Cute card, happy bunny. :)

voodoo vixen said...

Aaaaw, I love your Easter bunny with the tummy!! Great that it will fold down for posting too! Yep, i remember those decs too!!

dddeeebbbzzz said...

I love the bunny!! I remember the honey comb Christmas decorations. They were always held shut with a little metal clip which then acted as the fastening when you folded it right round!

Claire said...

Cute Wabbit!
C
xx

The Crafty Elf said...

Oh My Gosh this card is so darn cute!

Winnie said...

Cute card! I remember a phase here where honeycomb was popular in card making. I don't think it lasted very long though!