Followers

Tuesday 12 April 2011

From time to time...

...I think about all the equipment I have acquired for my crafting.

I dread to think what it would actually cost to start all over again as I have noticed that prices have increased on many items since I really started to spend more time paper crafting.
I still think one of my best investments has been my Copics. I love using them and could easily spend hours just playing and colouring-in. As I have mentioned before, this is something that I enjoyed doing as a child and these pens have brought this enjoyment back to me. There are times when I just can't be asked to sit down and 'craft' but to sit comfortably on the sofa with some sheets of stamped or digi images and just colour...well that can be pure bliss.
I have a number of bigger items of crafting equipment - something I have been very lucky in and I don't underestimate the thought that went into providing me with these items. Most of these pieces - such as my Cricut and Bigshot - have been gifts from my Mum. I really think she gets as much pleasure out of seeing what I have created with these items as I do playing with them.
There was a time when punches were probably my least favourite crafting items. I think this was because the only ones I ever saw were the 'button' style ones and I always found these really difficult to use. Things started to change when I bought my first border punch - Fiskars, Threading Water - I had seen this used in so many magazines and I was so frustrated at not being able to get my hands on one (everywhere sold out as soon as their stock arrived - it was a pretty popular item). Like many new toys, this was in constant use for a good while and is still one of my favourites...then I discovered Martha Stewart and EK Success. My first "Martha" was the Doily border punch but my collection has grown somewhat. I would say, if funds allowed I would certainly have many more, especially the 'round the page' designs.

Like many paper crafters I dabbled with stamping when I started but was never that successful with the wooden block stamps (lack of confidence was probably the main cause). The introduction of clear stamps brought me back to this area of crafting and whilst I would still say I'm not a confident stamper, I do now enjoy it and have collected rather a lot...

However, there are also many tools that I have that I probably don't give much thought to but would be lost without. My trusty X-cut pokey tool, my little non-stick "Tesco's" scissors, assorted craft knives, corner rounders...the list goes on.

Could I ever choose just one or two of these pieces of equipment - no way! - each has proved its worth to me and meets my crafting needs. Could/would you honestly be able to give up your crafting equipment and just retain a couple of chosen pieces?

Now if you were to ask me what my favourite pieces of equipment are - that's easy...embossing folders, inks/sprays, punches, stamps and of course, top of the list - my Copics..................................

7 comments:

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Lovely post Toni. I'd hate to think how much I've spent on tools of the trade over the years... I know it's a lot!!!
Hugs ~ Kerryanne

Winnie said...

We crafters do tend to amass a huge amount of tools (useful AND useless!), don't we? LOL I don't think I have one favourite tool, or if I did, it would probably be any of the border punches I own. I love the effect they give to a straight bit of paper. :D

MiniOwner said...

A really interesting post, Toni.
Sue x

Lynn Stevens said...

Oh Toni, you have some great tools, I still don't own any copics, I have an expensive set similar and just can't justify spending more on markers.
Just so many toys to play with, what fun!
hugs Lynn

airing cupboard crafts said...

What an amazing post Toni. I too have quite a few tools including the Big Shot and Cricut and I don't use them all the time but I could never get rid of them. Yes I have spent a fortune inmy room but the BS and Cricut have saved me money as I do all of my own letters now. I never buy letters unless they come in a kit oh and the teeny square ones.

I have copics but I just don't seem to get on that well with them to be honest. I am thinking about going to a class in my local scrap shop to learn how to use them properly.

Laura x

Scrappy~Sarah said...

OO would dread to think how much it would be to replace, and some is irreplacable

Handmade Hannah said...

The thing is with this past time is that you have to accumulate tools over time as you couldn't possibly buy it all and use it all successfully. As my tastes change and develop I wonder why I bought embossing powders in every colour in the rainbow but now never emboss. However, I have developed an interest in die cutting now which has taken me off in a different direction. I will return to embossing soon I am sure and then I'll be glad I have the powders ready! Great post :)